Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Spoiler Alert: This article/section contains details about future plotlines described in the light novels, not covered in the anime. Do not proceed unless you want to be spoiled. |
|“||I want his power. I want to make him mine and become one with him.||”|
—Kurumi Tokisaki to Origami Tobiichi
|Species|| Human (Formerly) |
|Eye Color|| Red (Right Eye) |
Yellow Clock Eye (Left Eye)
|Affiliations||Raizen High School (Temporary)|
|Novel Debut||Volume 3|
|Anime Debut|| Episode 05 (Possible Cameo) |
Episode 07 (Actual Appearance)
Kurumi Tokisaki (時崎 狂三 Tokisaki Kurumi?) is the third Spirit to appear. The most brutal Spirit in the series, as well as the only one that Shido has been unable to seal as of now. She is also the first Spirit to appear as an antagonist in the Date A Live series.
Kurumi Tokisaki had used unstated and unexplained methods to personally transfer into Shido Itsuka's high school and classroom so that she could get closer to him. Her purposes and reasons for moving were simple: consume Shido Itsuka, and in doing so, gain the Spirits' mana sealed within his body. During the time Kurumi was a Raizen high school student, she almost succeeded in consuming Shido. However, she was forced to retreat after being overwhelmed by Kotori's destructive power. Kurumi had claimed that it was because she simply wasn't prepared to face her, but later argued that she could defeat Kotori if she had more time stored up.
Later, it was revealed (at the end of Volume 4) that Kurumi had a conversation with a mysterious being and seemed like she was talking to herself (in which she wasn’t.) She stated her real purpose/goal was to seek Shido out, use her 12th bullet to travel 30 years back in time and kill the First Spirit. To accomplish that, she required a significant amount of spirit mana which she didn't possess, which is why she wanted to consume Shido. Shido held the spirit mana of three spirits within him, enough for her to be able to use the 12th bullet and still have some power left over to kill the First Spirit.
She had reappeared during the beginning of Miku Truth and offered to help Shido rescue Tohka from the hands of the DEM. Her true objective was later revealed to be to use Shido as a distraction for her to have a chance to search for the Second Spirit, the only one who knew the whereabouts of the First Spirit.
In Volume 10, Origami had found Kurumi and requested to be sent to the past with the power of Kurumi's Twelfth Bullet -Yud Bet-. Kurumi jokingly asked Origami if she had wanted to go back so that she could see Shido when he was an innocent child, to which Origami replied that she wished to go back five years ago to kill the Spirit that had murdered her parents, thus changing the past. After considering Origami's position, Kurumi eventually agreed to send Origami to the past and told her that she would use the former AST wizard as a test subject for the Twelfth Bullet under the condition that Origami's spiritual energy be used to power the time travel. Origami remained adamant and assured Kurumi that she was ready to pay the price as long as she was sent back before the incident five years ago. Then, Kurumi summoned Zafkiel and shot Origami with the Twelfth Bullet.
After seeing Origami go inverse during the night, Kurumi took the chance while the other Spirits were fighting Ellen along with the Inversed Origami to talk with Shido. Kurumi told him that everything he did would become meaningless once Origami went inverse and wondered what Origami had found out at that time. She then proceeded to shoot Shido with the Ninth Bullet alongside the Twelfth Bullet, sending him five years into the past to seek out the reason for Origami's inversion.
Since she had shot Shido with her Ninth Bullet, Kurumi was able to share her senses with him and vice versa, despite being located in a different time axis. After she had found out the truth, Kurumi helped Shido realize that he was the reason for Origami's change in personality and then instructed him to look for her past self from 5 years ago so that he could do the time travel again without wasting any more of his power.
Kurumi is "a girl with astonishing beauty," as described by Shido. She appears to be elegant and has very polite manners. She has long, black hair usually tied in long twin tails. Her right eye is red-tinted while her left eye appears as a golden, inorganic clock face. The positions of the clock hands represent her remaining "time" and are covered by her bangs, which are only revealed when she transforms into her Spirit form.
The Astral Dress, which Kurumi wears, is made out of orange and black frills, giving her the appearance of an elegant Gothic Lolita with uneven twin tails. On her head, she usually wears a big crimson net bow to hold her hair. She also wears a red and black collar on her neck. Kurumi's height is stated to be 157cm, and her three sizes are B85/W59/H87.
When not in her Spirit form, Kurumi usually tends to wear either the female winter uniform of Raizen High School or a black Gothic Lolita dress.
Kurumi is a person whose character is difficult to read. She possesses a dislike of humanity that borders on mistrust, which is something that she shares with most of the other Spirits in her debut. She is a skilled actress, capable of putting on the façade of an innocent, curious young girl when she needs to. This skill of hers is shown when she registered as a student at Raizen High School and spoke in a polite manner. However, under that mask lies a mad woman, prone to fits of insane laughter and possessing no regard for human life, viewing them as a food source to restore her own time, and thus, a disposable commodity.
There is a twisted justice behind her methods, however, as the people that she brutally murdered were would-be rapists and animal abusers. Also, a good sign of her sense of justice lies in her ultimate objective: to go back in time, kill the First Spirit, prevent the spacequakes from ever happening and saving millions of lives in the process. This goal made <Phantom> call her a kind person, albeit sarcastically.
In hindsight, Kurumi possesses some degree of innocence that her psychotic behavior has not entirely ruined; she has a soft spot for small animals and other creatures. She once slaughtered four humans not because she needed to replenish her time, but because they were trying to kill a kitten. She also appeared to have some desire for a normal life, a chance at redemption, as Shido was able to speak with one of her many timelines and nearly convinced her before the true Kurumi interrupted.
However, despite the fact she doesn't kill without a reason and her redeeming qualities, Kurumi doesn't seem to think of herself as a great person and even appears to hate being called one. When Shido stated that he would not give up on her despite her being a murderer, she responded by using her City of Devouring Time on the students of Raizen High School. She even summoned a spacequake which could have killed them all, in an attempt to make him give up on her. Also, when <Phantom> called her a kind person, Kurumi's initial response was to try to shoot her.
Her ability to summon shadow clones of herself from other timelines adds, even more, complexity to her character. The clones are essentially herself, which means they have the same personality, but they also have free will to an extent, even if they share memories, goals, fears, and obsessions. It is also hinted that the experiences each clone possesses affect the main one since, after helping Shido locate Tohka (so that Kurumi could track the Second Spirit) and parting ways, Kurumi was shown talking to her clones and was happy because she had received a pat on the head from Shido. Some of her clones also slightly reflect what her former personality was; the clone that Shido faced on the school rooftop nearly agreed to let Shido save her, and the clone from Kurumi Star Festival (the very same clone Shido reasoned with on the school roof) was very cheerful and became slightly emotional when saddened.
Shido's kindness towards Kurumi has proven to be beneficial to both her and everyone around her as they are no longer in constant danger; a major sign of her goodwill was shown at the end of Volume 6, where she offered Shido help to rescue Tohka. Interestingly, she seems to enjoy teasing Shido—aside from her heavily hinted feelings towards him, which is the reason why she hasn't devoured him yet, even when doing so would allow her to accomplish her goals near-instantly.
Kurumi appears to have a particular liking for cats, as shown by her brutally murdering a group of men who were shooting at one with pellet guns. In an Omake, it is shown that she can be quite embarrassed about this. When Shido and Tohka caught her, she ended up going so far as to have one of her clones pretend to be the real her and "dispose" of her so that she could get out of the situation without ruining her reputation.
According to Nia, Kurumi was once an ordinary human. However, because of unknown reasons, she bonded with the Sephira Crystal containing Zafkiel, turning her into a Spirit. It is untold if she had also lost her memories like most of the other Spirits did following their transformations.
At some point, using her ability to make clones of herself, Kurumi had created a massive information network. Eventually, she discovered that all Spirits came from the First Spirit. Viewing the existence of Spirits as a mistake, she planned to use her Angel to travel back to when he/she first appears and kill him/her. She and her clones began to prey on humans to gain enough time to use her angel, taking many lives in the process. However, the many lives she had taken attracted the attention of DEM, who sent Mana Takamiya after her. They fought many battles, during which Mana had always killed her. However, unbeknownst to Mana, she was just killing Kurumi's clones.
<Phantom> appeared before Kurumi at some unknown point in time and told her about Shido Itsuka, along with the Spirit mana sealed inside his body. Having nothing to lose, Kurumi infiltrated Raizen High School through unknown means to confirm if this story was true.
- Light Novel
Powers and AbilitiesZafkiel (刻々帝 (ザフキエル), Kokkoku Tei, lit., "Emperor of Time")
Astral Dress: Elohim (神威霊装・三番 (エロヒム), Shin'i Reisou: Sanban, "Spirit Dress of God's Authority, Number 3")
Skills: [A gun with special bullets that can activate different effects depending on the bullet.]
- First Bullet: Aleph [一の弾（アレフ）] (Accelerates time on a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at 1 o'clock time on the clock.
- Second Bullet: Bet [二の弾（ベート）] (Slows down time on a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at the 2 o'clock time on the clock.
- Third Bullet: Gimmel [三の弾 (ギメル) ] (Effect Currently Unknown)
- Fourth Bullet: Dalet [四の弾（ダレット）] (Rewinds time on a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at the 4 o'clock time on the clock.
- Fifth Bullet: Hei [五の弾 (ヘイ) ] (Effect Currently Unknown)
- Sixth Bullet: Vav [六の弾 (ヴァヴ) ] (Effect Currently Unknown)
- Seventh Bullet: Zayin [七の弾（ザイン）] (Temporarily freezes time on a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at the 7 o'clock time on the clock.
- Eight Bullet: Het [八の弾（へット）] (Creates a clone of a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at the 8 o'clock time on the clock.
- Ninth Bullet: Tet [九の弾（テット）] (allows Kurumi to share her senses with someone in a different a time dimension) Activated by pointing at the 9 o'clock time on the clock.
- Tenth Bullet: Yud [十の弾（ユッド）] (Peeks into the past of a target object or subject) Activated by pointing at the 10 o'clock time on the clock.
- Eleventh Bullet: Yud Aleph [十一の弾 (ユッド・アレフ）] (Effect Currently Unknown)
- Twelfth Bullet: Yud Bet [十二の弾（ユッド・ベート）] (Travels through time at the cost of a Spirit's power) Activated by pointing at the 12 o'clock time on the clock.
Kurumi has the ability to manipulate the 4th dimension, mainly time, but her main power is associated with controlling shadows. Shadow is her primary element while Time is her secondary element in terms of usage. Combined with the power of the 8th bullet, she can create a clone that has all her experiences, memories, abilities, etc.; these clones can take the form of long white hands with red outlining when they are in Kurumi's shadows. However, as these are her past selves, they sometimes may contain feelings which the current Kurumi no longer possesses and as such, Kurumi will not hesitate to kill these clones if they choose to disobey her.
These clones are less powerful than Kurumi herself as she has mentioned in the last chapter of Volume 3 and in the epilogue of Volume 4. She can form a single clone by shooting herself with Zafkiel's 8th bullet, or bring out all of her clones at once from the shadows which she keeps them in. She can also use these shadows to store her clones all at once and all the time they've collected, if she needs to do so. She can also control her clones partially through small fields of shadows, most often to hold someone in place and prevent them from moving.
Her "Angel" is very powerful. Each time she uses its abilities, it consumes a bit of her time (life force). In order to get back her life force, Kurumi possesses the ability to absorb other people's time to refill hers using a red barrier she calls the <City of Devouring Time> ", the clock in her eye showing how much life force she currently has. She utilizes two intricately designed guns as weapons which resemble the hands of a clock: the musket (long weapon) for the minute hand and the flintlock (short weapon) for the hour hand.
To activate any power she needs, she first needs to call her Angel (regardless of whether the Angel has been summoned already or not) and position her flintlock at the number of the bullet on the Angel. Next, she needs to shoot the bullet at the target with the gun. In the event that she needs to use the power on herself, then she is required to shoot herself.
Kurumi has the ability to summon her spacequakes at will, as seen when she confronted Shido on the school rooftop.
Only the original Kurumi is capable of using her Spirit powers but her clones can still use her guns, summon and dismiss Spacequakes at will, and even summon the <City of Devouring Time>.
- (To her Classmates) "My name is Tokisaki Kurumi."..."I am a Spirit." 
- (To Shido Itsuka)"You were ready to kill another creature, yet you're scared to be killed. Don't you think that's weird? When you point a gun at another life... This is what happens." 
- "......Fu, fu......Really now, Shido-san, is really, gentle......huh." 
- (To Phantom) "Thirty years ago, the Spirit that first appeared in this world. The 'First Spirit' became the origin of all the Spirits——my intention, is to kill it." 
- (To herself) "Well, I don't have much of a choice. I guess I'll end this here since I got Shido-san to pat my head today.----right, all of me?" 
- (To Shido Itsuka) “Okay then-----Let’s begin our war?” 
- (To Shido Itsuka) "No matter how big the world is, Tokisaki Kurumi is the only person that can interfere with irreversible time. And also this Zafkiel. Please don’t lend your ears to nonsense made by smart scholars and authors. The thing that you-- Shido-san-- are looking right now, is the only truth." 
- Kurumi has the character "three" (三) in her name, referring to the third Sephira on Kabbalah's Tree of Life, "Understanding."
- Zafkiel's (Kurumi's Angel) bullet names are originally from the Hebrew Alphabet. For example, Aleph, the first bullet (from 1 o'clock) represents the first letter.
- Elohim means "God" in Hebrew.
- Zafkiel's name refers to an archangel. The angel is sometimes equated with Zophiel/Jophiel, but other times considered to be a different angel. Zaphkiel is the "chief of the order of thrones", one of the 9 angels that rule Heaven and also one of, the 7 archangels. Zafkiel is also associated with the planet Saturn.
- Zafkiel's name also means "Beholder of God" or "The Contemplation of God."
- Kurumi's threat level is S-Class. Despite being lower than Inverse Tohka and Inverse Origami, it still makes her officially the most dangerous Spirit ever known in her standard form. This also excludes Rinne, whose threat level is SS-Class.
- Kurumi's Angel is classified as an S-class Angel, the highest class until now. Her powers cannot be measured by a conventional scale, and they may be growing from all the mana she has consumed.
- In the anime, Kurumi may have appeared in episode 05 as a cameo (at exactly 2:45, the girl holding a red umbrella).
- The first kanji in Kurumi's surname ("Toki", 時) means "Time."